In this article, we will show you how to easily add web push notifications to your WordPress site.
Setting up Web Push Notifications in WordPres with OneSignal
OneSignal is a free push notification service for WordPress websites. It allows you to easily add push notifications to any website.
Follow the steps below to get up and going with OneSignal in just a matter of minutes
1. First thing you need to do is install and active the OneSignal plugin. You can download it from the WordPress repository or by searching for it within your WordPress dashboard under “Add New ” plugins.
2. Next, head over to OneSignal and create a free account.
3. Click on “ADD APP” and give your app a name. Then click on “Create.”
4. Select “Website Push” and click “Next“.
5. On the next screen you will need to select your target SDK, in this instance we select “WordPress Plugin or Website Builder” and “WordPress” in section 1.
6. In section 2, input your WordPress Site name and Site URL. Then input the location of your notification icon URL. According to OneSignal, icon dimensions should be 192 x 192 or larger to display well on high pixel density devices. You can upload one to your WordPress media library and copy the URL. The default OneSignal notification icon will be used if you don’t choose one.
7. In the next section, you will need to copy your APP ID and APP KEY as you will need to input this information into the settings of the WordPress plugin.
8. You will then want to browser to your website and subscribe to the notification to test that everything is working correctly. Click on the red symbol on the bottom right and click on “Alow”. You can change these options in the display settings later.
note: you might need to disable adblocker if you have it running.
9. Then back on the OneSignal website and click on “Finish”.
Finally, we will learn how to set up Safari push notifications in the next article.